Serious craft beer enthusiasts and even novice sippers are showing up in huge numbers to taste the fresh offerings from the Shenandoah Valley’s award-winning breweries.
Wondering where to begin? More than a dozen central Shenandoah Valley breweries have teamed up to bring you one of the America’s newest beer trails. Shenandoah Beerwerks Trail stretches from Harrisonburg to Lexington with stops in Waynesboro and Staunton; it’s the perfect self-guided tour for your next craft beer adventure. Participating on the trail are big names you know like Brothers Craft and Devils Backbone, along with rising star Pale Fire Brewing, and small or new establishments you may not have heard of but will no doubt love, like Basic City, Great Farm, and Stable Craft.
The taproom atmosphere along the Beerwerks Trail is welcoming and fun – décor ranges from industrial cool to barn chic. Consider it a bucket list challenge to visit all of them for the experience alone.
In addition to the 13 Beerwerks breweries, check out northern Shenandoah Valley breweries like Alesatian in Winchester, a brand new small batch brewery above Roma Old Town Wood-Fired Pizzeria, or Backroom in Middletown, a farm brewery serving scratch-made, locally sourced delights. To the south, Flying Mouse in Troutville is a mountain hideaway less than one half-mile from the Appalachian Trail, and Parkway Brewing in Salem is a place to expect the unexpected.
If you’re looking for top-ranked beers, the Valley is a great place to find them. Medals don many a taproom here. Try these top competition winners:
- Reilly’s Red, Devils Backbone – World Beer Cup 2016 Gold Medal
- Schwartz Bier, Devils Backbone – World Beer Cup 2016 Gold Medal, Great American Beer Festival 2014 Gold Medal
- Vienna Lager, Devils Backbone – World Beer Cup 2014 Silver Medal, Great American Beer Festival 2015 Gold Medal
- Salad Days American Saison, Pale Fire – World Beer Cup 2016 Bronze Medal, Great American Beer Festival 2015 Bronze Medal
- Red Molly, Pale Fire – World Beer Cup 2016 Bronze Medal
- Mild, Brothers Craft – Great American Beer Festival 2015 Gold Medal
- Rum Barrel Belgium Dubbel, Brothers Craft – Great American Beer Festival 2013 Bronze Medal
Fantasizing about a beercation? Maybe you want to add some hiking, rock climbing, mountain biking, canoeing, and fishing into the mix? Here are some options about how to have fun before and after your tap room adventures.
Plan your next beer adventure now to Virginia’s Shenandoah Valley with its beautiful scenery, outdoor recreation, delicious food, and tasty beers. Grab some friends, have fun, and always remember to designate a driver.
Please drink responsibly.