Film Industryin the Shenandoah Valley
Why is the Shenandoah Valley such an ideal place to make movies?
Our historic and natural landscapes have long attracted scouting crews and movie teams. This region has been the filming location for blockbuster movies such as:
- Gods and Generals (with Robert Duvall, Jeff Daniels)
- War of the Worlds (with Tom Cruise, Dakota Fanning, and Tim Robbins)
- Hearts of Atlantis (with Anthony Hopkins)
- Sommersby (with Jodie Foster, Richard Gere)
- Evan Almighty (with Steve Carell and Morgan Freeman)
Our region offers picturesque landscapes with verdant fields and forests, scenic mountains and waterways, as well as charming university campuses and vintage towns. In fact, the Shenandoah Valley might be the most picture-perfect slice of Americana you can find in North America!
Movies filmed in Virginia are supported by the Virginia Film Office. The VFO is proud to be recognized as one of the most knowledgeable, effective, and helpful film commissions in the USA. Filming permits may be required from government agencies such as city governments, national parks, etc. If you are unsure of which municipality governs your filming location, we’ll do our best to help connect you with the resources you need.