“Do you remember the 21st night of September?” asks Earth, Wind & Fire. The chart-topping 1978 hit, “September,” was remixed in September 2020 during the COVID-19 pandemic. Prior to that, a younger generation was sucked into the groovy beat thanks to the 2016 DreamWorks animated movie, Trolls.
You do know the song, right? Here, we’ll jog your memory …
Taking a cue from the lyrics, we offer ways to celebrate the unofficial Earth, Wind & Fire Day of September 21.
Say, do you remember? Dancin’ in September …
Find a live music venue or festival this month so you can make your own “dancin’ in September” memories.
The Golden Pony in Harrisonburg, Virginia has been hailed as the best music venue in the Shenandoah Valley by readers of Virginia Living Magazine. In fact, ZAO, a metalcore band from Pennsylvania, is scheduled to perform September 21 at 8 p.m.
More September Music:
- 3: Ben Sollee with Ethan Hawkins at The Blackburn Inn, Staunton, VA (genres: bluegrass, folk)
- 4: Nitty Gritty Dirt Band (pictured above) at Shenandoah Valley Music Festival, Orkney Springs, VA (genre: country)
- 5: Hot Strings and Cool Breezes Minifest, Orkney Springs, VA (genres bluegrass, country)
- 5: Shenandoah Valley Wine & Music Festival at Museum of the Shenandoah Valley, Winchester, VA (genres: blues, country, rock)
- 11: Rockbridge Beer & Wine Festival at Lime Kiln Theater, Lexington, VA (genres: Top 40, blues, bluegrass, country, rock)
- 16-19: 17th Annual Watermelon Pickers’ Fest, Berryville, VA (genre: bluegrass)
- 18: Long Strange Night on the Mountain at Peaks of Otter Winery, Bedford, VA (genre: funk)
- 18: Virginia Wine & Craft Festival, Front Royal, VA (genres: Top 40, pop, rock)
- 18: Great Outdoors Day Music Fest at Brothers Craft Brewing, Harrisonburg, VA (genres: Americana, bluegrass, and old-time)
- 18-19: Shenandoah Valley Apple Harvest Festival, Clear Brook, VA (genres: Top 40, pop, blues, bluegrass, country, old-time, R&B/soul, folk, Christian)
- 24-26: Mountain Heritage Arts & Crafts Festival, Jefferson, WV (genre: bluegrass)
- 25: The Judy Chops at Redbeard Brewing Co., Staunton, VA (genres: swing and blues)
- 25: Sam Bush Band at Lime Kiln Theater, Lexington, VA (genre: bluegrass)
Header image courtesy Shenandoah Music Festival.