Where Adventure Runs Deep!
Explore Fountain: Find Fountain.
Discovered in 1835, Fountain Cave has just reopened after being closed for almost 100 years! There are no lights inside the cavern, and the only thing that remains from its past days in the 1800s is an old rugged path.
There are beautiful formations all throughout, but this is not a typical tour. Tours take 2 hours long and you are suited up with Helmets, Knee Pads, Gloves, and Head-lamps. You will get ‘down & dirty’ and have an Authentic caving experience. We are the only cave in Virginia that offers Adventure Tours, and you will not regret it! Fountain Cave is located at Grand Caverns, a National Natural Landmark, where leisurely walking tours are available as well.
What you need to know:
- The tour lasts approximately 2 hours.
- You’ll get suited with helmets, headlights, knee pads, and gloves.
- For a “less adventurous’ experience, you can use the 1800s pathway, or opt to have a true caving experience with opportunities for strenuous climbing and crawling.
- Closed toed shoes or boots, long sleeve shirt and long pants are required.
- Must be 12 years or older.
- Tours offered frequently, please call ahead to see availability.
- Fountain Cave is also located at Grand Caverns, a National Natural Landmark & the Oldest Show Cave in America.